- The Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery established the position of Postgraduate Dean many years ago. However, the development of Regional Postgraduate Deans with overall responsibility for postgraduate medical education has prompted some confusion. Thus, we have changed title to Cardiothoracic Dean to avoid any confusion. The Cardiothoracic Dean holds a pastoral role within the Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery and is available for impartial advice on career and educational matters. Specific duties include:
- Liaison between the SpRs and the specialty. The best way to contact the Cardiothoracic Dean is by e-mail.
- Career advice: for SpRs who might want to discuss things with an outside independent person.
- For SHOs considering a career in cardiothoracic surgery.
- For overseas doctors wanting to come to the UK for further training.
- Member of the Intercollegiate Exam Board.
- Member of the Specialist Advisory Committee (SAC) for Cardiothoracic Surgery.
The SAC is a subcommittee of the Senate of Surgery and is responsible for the inspection of training posts and supervision of SpRs’ training. Each SAC member is responsible for a training programme and attends all the Training programme meetings and ARCP/RITA. The SAC has a statutory role of recommending trainees to the Postgraduate Medical and Education Training Board (PMETB) for award of the CCT.
The current Cardiothoracic Dean is Jonathan Hyde.