Operative video winners 2017
February 11, 2018 18:19
2017 winners for the trainee operative video prize:
Silviu Buderi for his video on Right VATS upper lobectomy
Mohamed Elsaegh for his video on Minimally Invasive ASD Closure
Operative Video Prizes
January 30, 2018 20:56
• Cardiothoracic Surgical Trainees (NTN and non-NTN) are invited to produce an operative video, appropriate to their year of training(please see attachments)
• There will be prizes for the best cardiac surgery and best thoracic surgery video
• The videos should be submitted as a high definition (HD), AVI or MPEG-4 video file, 5 minutes in duration, and can be made using anyrecording device, including smart phones, video cameras orprofessional equipment
• Please obtain patient consent and fill in the application form,which requires consultant approval
• If selected, the videos may be edited and included in an SCTSoperative videos app
• For further details, please contact Carol Tan and Sunil Bhudia at[email protected]
Closing date: 18th February 2018
Fellowship deadline extensions
December 12, 2017 21:36
The deadline for all SCTS Fellowships has been extended to Monday 15th January 2018. Fellowships include:
SCTS Education Ethicon Surgical Trainee Fellowships
Eligible applicants include senior nationally-appointed cardiothoracic surgical trainees in Great Britain & Ireland, who have not yet secured a consultant post.
Marian and Christina Ionescu Consultant Travelling Fellowship
Eligible applicants include Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeons currently working in Great Britain & Ireland in all sub-specialties, including adult cardiac surgery, thoracic surgery, congenital cardiac surgery and transplantation surgery.
SCTS Education Ionescu Medical Student Fellowships
Eligible applicants include medical students at University in Great Britain & Ireland
SCTS Education Ionescu Non-NTN Surgical Fellowships
Eligible applicants are non-NTN surgical doctors, including clinical fellows, specialty doctors, associate specialists and staff grade doctors, currently working within cardiothoracic surgery in Great Britain & Ireland.
SCTS Education Ionescu Nursing & Allied Health Professional Fellowships
Eligible applicants include Cardiothoracic Nurses, Advanced Nurse Practitioners, Surgical Care Practitioners, Physician Assistants, Physiotherapists, Pharmacists and Perfusionists, currently working within Cardiothoracic Surgery in Great Britain & Ireland, with at least 4 years’ experience and professionally registered with the NMC or HCPC.
For further information and for an application form, please do not hesitate to contact Letty Mitchell at [email protected]
SCTS Education Ionescu Medical Student Fellowships
November 10, 2017 20:30
The Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery in Great Britain & Ireland (SCTS) is pleased to invite applications for the SCTS Education Ionescu Medical Student Fellowships.
Marian and Christina Ionescu Consultant Travelling Fellowship 2018
October 16, 2017 09:55
The Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery in Great Britain & Ireland (SCTS) is pleased to invite applications for the Marian and Christina Ionescu Consultant Travelling Fellowship 2018. Eligible applicants include Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeons currently working in Great Britain & Ireland in all sub-specialties, including adult cardiac surgery, thoracic surgery, congenital cardiac surgery and transplantation surgery.
Nurses & AHP Forum Presentations
Presentations given at the 2017 Forum are now available in pdf format for review on the Nurses & AHP page.
The next meeting will be in Glasgow on 18th to 20th March 2018.
See previous programmes here: Read more
Surgical techniques for functional mitral regurgitation
J Lamelas (Houston, USA) reviews the surgical options available for the management of functional mitral regurgitation, before describing in detail his favoured technique of “ring and sling”.
SCTS Ionescu University
Transplantation & Support
Following the very successful pilot the SCTS Education Professional Development course is now open. Details are on the attached flyer. The course places are heavily subsidised for SCTS members and there are limited places for each date. All the pilot places were gone within one week so immediate application is advised. Non SCTS members pay the full price so this course is a benefit of SCTS membership.
This programme is aimed at consultants, senior trainees (ST5 onward) and equivalent, and is rolling so modules can be taken in any order.
The course has been designed to meet many revalidation requirements and is tailored to the needs of cardiothoracic surgeons.
This course has top modules from our award winning partner and includes sessions on understanding the healthcare environment, management, leadership, transformation and finances.
Following course participation delegates will be better equipped to deal with the rapidly changing NHS and effectively lead their services.
- 03 May 2018: ST3B – Operative Cardiothoracic Surgery Course
- 15 May 2018: ST5B – Non-Operative Technical Skills for Surgeons (NOTSS) Course
SCTS Education / Ethicon Curriculum-aligned Cardiothoracic Surgery Training Courses are an innovative portfolio of 12 courses that have been designed and implemented by the current SCTS Tutors to mirror the ISCP curriculum.
All nationally-appointed Cardiothoracic Surgery Trainees will be given the opportunity to attend 12 specifically designed courses (2 courses per year during their 6 year programme). The portfolio of courses will deliver a continuous programme of learning which has been mapped out to mirror the ISCP Cardiothoracic Surgery curriculum. The programme has been endorsed by the Cardiothoracic Surgery Specialty Advisory Committee (SAC) and attendance at the courses will be monitored through the ARCP and CCT process. These courses complement knowledge and skills learned during their training programme and will use a variety of techniques to deliver education.
Details of the aims and delivery of all of these courses are available on the Tutors' page. Read more
- In Global News: Screening for Congenital Heart Disease, Regenerative Medicine for the Heart, and Predicting Heart Failure Outcomes June 22, 2018
- Hemodilution, Oxygen Delivery, and Acute Kidney Injury June 21, 2018
- Transposition of the Great Arteries With Intact Ventricular Septum and Type 1 Aortopulmonary Window June 21, 2018
- Minimally Invasive Esophagectomy: Tips and Pitfalls June 20, 2018
- Bicuspid Ring Annuloplasty and Leaflet Reconstruction After Failed Bicuspid Valve Repair and Aortic Root Remodeling June 19, 2018
- VATS Right Middle Lobe Lobectomy in the Setting of Oligometastatic Lung Cancer June 18, 2018
- The Norwood Procedure With Coronary Transfer to the Pulmonary Root: A Modification Proposed by Me or by God? June 18, 2018
- In Global News: HCV and Heart Transplants, Refusing Lung Cancer Treatment, and Predicting Intraoperative Hypotension June 15, 2018
Debate: emphysema intervention
This is the educational website of the SCTS and is overseen by its Education Committee. The Education Committee serves as a link between the Executive and the Cardiothoracic SAC to ensure that educational matters are highlighted in the Society. Read more
The SCTS University was launched in 2010 at the SCTS Annual Meeting in Liverpool and is now the largest Cardiothoracic Educational Programme in the UK. The first recording of this contemporary educational material was in 2012 at the joint ACTA / SCTS meeting in Manchester, with each subsequent SCTS University recorded and the educational material made available via this website. Read more
The SCTS Lifetime Achievement Award was presented to Mr Marian Ionescu at the annual meeting in Manchester 2015. His name has been added to the SCTS University logo. Read more